Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Q & A WITH FIGHTER DIET

Pauline Nordin

Here's an exclusive Question & Answer session with Pauline Nordin, creator of Fighter Diet, pro bodybuilder, fitness model, personal trainer and writer.

Pauline, how did you get all your vegetables every night when you were filming the Biggest Loser in Estonia?
I befriended the big fat chef who did not know one word English, but every night I hovered around the kitchen and when I saw the big plates with leftover steamed veggies I took it to my room. Some times he did not see me going but when he came back the plates were clean. That is how he gave me the nickname “the pig”.

What can really push your buttons in the gym?
When my headphones, my heart rate monitor AND my Iphone team up to go die on me on the same time, that makes me really stressed out… I try to stay calm but I get furious. I am a control freak with my training, so I need my add-ons to work!

Have you ever had an emergency or something like that in the gym?
Once I was maxing out on a leg press and I wanted to push beyond my limit when suddenly the lactic acid got so strong and I could not unhook the sled since it was a bit too high. My legs would not do it. I had to sit around panicking for minutes before my boyfriend came to my rescue. I was too embarrassed to ask anyone else. I also got stuck under a barbell with my hair doing bench presses once, so that is why I never wear my hair down when doing those things….

What do you never eat?
I never eat any junk food. Last time and only time I had a burger was in september 2006. I had a Carls Junior bacon burger after the tournament of pro figure Champions. I ordered it with some other items but I was so not used to fast food shopping I forgot it and left without the rest. Newbie beginner huh!

Pauline, are there any regular bodybuilding foods you never eat as well?
Sure. Plenty. I don’t eat tuna. I don’t eat brown rice. I don’t eat fast carbs post workout. I am not obsessed with getting protein every two hours… I was for years until I realized nothing actually happen with me not doing it! However, I supplement with BCAAs several times a day between meals. I am sure that helps with muscle revovery as well as sharpening the brain!

What are the most common beginner mistakes you see as a trainer?
The frustration that comes from expecting you will turn into a fitness model in three months when you have no background in training whatsoever. Some times I wonder what the deal is with constant entertainment too: you don’t need a lot of variety to grow muscle, you need consistency! Entertainment you get elsewhere but in the gym, that is why we have cable tv and movies!

Sometimes I reach plateaus in my weight loss. I don’t know what to do. What would you advice Pauline?
Take a good look at what you are doing. Are you pushing the cardio? Are you adhering to a weight loss promoting diet plan? Are you for sure not eating extra from the healthy foods you do eat? Usually people know what is wrong deep inside, but they blame it on their genetics or situation when all they need is more focus!

No comments: